In Part 3 of our summer reading book, Caitlin begins to understand just how much she’s helping Martin when she sends him things along with her letters.
Read the excerpt below and respond to any of these questions in the comments:
- Did this part surprise or shock you? How?
- How would you react in Caitlin’s situation?
- How can not having a pair of shoes impact a person?
- What did Caitlin mean by “injustice was happening in the world”?
Also, there are several great charities that focus on providing shoes for those in need. Check out these organizations for ways to get involved (and donate your old clothes/shoes):
- Samaritan’s Feet (https://www.samaritansfeet.org) – they have opportunities to volunteer in Charlotte!
- Soles4Souls (https://soles4souls.org)
- Toms (http://www.toms.com)
- Local second hand stores and assistance charities, like Crisis Assistance Ministries, the Matthews Help Center, Salvation Army, Goodwill, and more.